Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Easy gps connection to brake switch
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 5:14 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Yesterday at 3:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:24 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:22 am

» From Dayton, Ohio
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:05 am

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:59 am

» Drive faces
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:57 pm

» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:45 am

» V Belt Light
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:39 am

» Introducing ME
At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:21 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

At 85, got new bike

Go down 
+7
Dale N.
landisr
JohnyC
GHM-PM
MikeO
steve_h80
john grinsel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-19

At 85, got new bike Empty
PostSubject: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 10:16 am

At 85, just got new bike, Honda super cub 125 ABS---us model, which of course based on some idiot, probably really non rider decesion .I to have us models with no SIDE STAND (when old ever try to get off bike with out first leaning on side stand?)I would have bought a Navi, but my wife thought I would need step thru---Cub is some $2000 more than Navi---Navi comes with side and center stand, kick starter.....and rear wheel that comes off without removing right side swing arm. PCX would have worked for me, pricey, 7 hours shop time for valve adjustment, extra dealer bump in pricing, so passed. In past have had C-70 cub(really too slow for use in N America,) C-90 in Japan perfect except you can not get on Freeway (toll). I have located windshield, used top box I already had. Probably will get front basket from Thailand.

Bike rides nice, has plenty of power for old fart--got side stand from Steady Garage....can get off safely now!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 6:14 pm

Congratulations on the new bike.
But no sidestand? What bizarre design decision.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3820
Registration date : 2009-06-30

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 10:54 pm

Congratulations, John! Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2606
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 11:51 pm

Congratulations John. It amazing how long "Cubs" have been around! Glad you found a sidestand for it. Having both stands is important for me. Hyder, AK here you come?
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-12-24

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2024 5:55 am

Gratz John, I somehow didn't think we had heard the last of your biking adventures!

Keep the shiny side up!

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2024-04-07

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2024 2:28 pm

Congrats on the new bike, and also for keeping your knees in the breeze.

Ron in AZ
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2014-02-14

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2024 2:39 pm

Sounds like a decent bike John. I also would HAVE to have a side stand if I didn't have my trike. No way could I balance enough to get off without a side stand.
Back to top Go down
LarryD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2023-09-07

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 12:37 am

Congrats on getting a new bike at age of 85. Nice to hear you are still riding. My friends were giving me the gears when I downsized from a large cruiser to the swing at age 79. They thought that I should quit riding. But I am loving the swing and wonder why I did not get one sooner. 900 klms last weekend.

It interesting hearing younger people talk about being able to ride until they are 70 years old. Were we supposed to stop then??

Stay healthy my friends.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4208
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 4:40 am

Well there's another way of looking at it. Over here once you reach 70 your Driving Licence expires and you have to reapply for one. Stating that you're general healthy, eyesight is still good, and have no medical conditions that could impair your driving or riding capability.

Once you have your Over 70"s Driving Licence it expires after 3 years and you have to reapply again assuring our DVLA that you're in good health, no impaired vision etc.  In Mr Grinsel’s case he would have had to reapply for his Licence for the fifth time.

Let's not kid ourselves either, you may have a wealth of riding/driving experience but physical health does deteriorate with age, reaction times slow, the big heavy motorcycles and maxi scooters we all took in our stride for years can be too much as physical strength diminishes with age. That's why some long term Silver Wing owners have downsized to 300-350cc maxi scooters.

It's apparent to when you read forum posts from old ex-bikers who are now new maxi owners and enjoying it. If they were completely honest, some of them would have nothing to do with maxi scooters or riders when they were younger. Then with bad backs, knackered knees, failing strength, and the inability to throw a leg over an adventure bike seat they turn to maxi scooters.

Anyway it's 27°C here or 80°F in old money here and the loud exhaust, vests and shorts types are out in force. I can't see the point in getting dressed up in bike gear to sweat like a glass blower's arse, so I'm walking 6 or 7 miles a day to keep my Activity App on my watch happy. It's quite fun and addictive in a weird sort of way.

I looked at Mr G's new single seat Cub and after thinking "Nice one John", it was there's not a lot of space on the rear rack for his top box travelling dog.
Back to top Go down
LarryD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2023-09-07

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 5:58 am

Well, you have an interesting way of looking at things. And I cannot dissagree with them. In Ontario Canada we have to take a test and re apply for our license at age 80, which I did at the end of June, then every 2 years.

My body , like yours needs the exercise, so I walk about 5 klms (3 miles) per day at a fast clip to keep the body going. I normally like to get my walk in during the cool mornings. Note that our temperature here today is almost the same as yours.

Stay healthy.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2024 3:05 am

John, great to hear from you my friend. Stay safe and enjoy the new ride.
I just got my driving privilages back after 6months due to a stroke in November and another in January. Eas a bit concerned about balance and reactions on the Swing, but it was the best medicine I could have. It all seems normal. Take care and watch out for those crazies out there. God Bless, Dickie...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2024 4:02 am

I understand the stroke thing---had stroke 10-15 years ago----first tried bicycle, thenSilverWing, hardest were uphill starts to right....over came. SilverWing can be too heavy for old fart. My new cub requires skills to ride--probably should have bought Pcx scooter.......Super Cub for us market come with no side stand or luggage rack=stupid. Too difficult for semi cripple old fart to safely dismount...I like leaning bike on side stand to get off for $150 my Cub now has proper side stand.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4208
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2024 10:23 pm

Nice to read that you’ve got a new bike at 85 John. Although I'm surprised you bought a Honda Super Cub with the Smart Key you disliked and no side stand in the first place. Although understanding the range of lightweight motorcycles and maxi scooters is rather limited in the US compared to what we have here in the UK.

I limited the use of the side stand for getting on and off a maxi scooter, or on the odd occasion I park up on soft ground somewhere where the main stand would dig in. I carry a couple of side stand pucks especially for this.

Yesterday I was poking around my local Triumph dealership as I occasionally like to do, Triumph have a really good range of bikes these days, but I had my years on adventure bikes back in the Nineties even they were known as big trailies. Going off road was limited to the odd muddy rally campsite.

Anyway I was quite surprised by the amount of new and low mileage motorcycles on display that only had side stands fitted, no main stands whatsoever.

That's a big minus for me, it's bad enough using a motorcycles only parking bay with bikes on their side stands taking up far too much space because in a lot of cases their lazy ass owners can't be bothered to haul them onto the main/centre stand that's also fitted.
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2022-04-20

PostSubject: Re: At 85, got new bike   At 85, got new bike I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2024 2:36 am

Congrats John - Nothing takes the place of wind in your face. Be Safe!
Back to top Go down

At 85, got new bike
Page 1 of 1