Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tip For Bleeding Brakes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2024-04-06

Tip For Bleeding Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Tip For Bleeding Brakes   Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2024 4:18 pm

A lot of people (myself included) occasionally experience frustration getting the last of the bubbles out of the lines. Sometimes we get lucky and bleeding (other than knuckles) goes quite well. Sometimes we get it close, but action is still a little soft. A number of members on the Goldwing forum I spend a fair amount of time on suggest pumping up the lever until the firmest point is reached, and wrapping a bungee cord or rope around the lever and grip to retain pressure and leave it overnight. The bubbles tend to find their way up to the mc. This has worked for me.

An example: "Try pumping up the handle several times until it gets as firm as it's going to get, then hold it down tight, and use a bungee or rope to tightly hold the brake lever tight on. Leave it sitting like that overnight and see if it makes any difference."

YMMV

Ron in AZ
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tip For Bleeding Brakes   Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2024 4:24 pm

That tip has been doing the rounds on maxi forums for years. A bungee cord or rope seems way over the top though, a heavy duty elastic band or Velcro strap does the same job.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1031
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Tip For Bleeding Brakes   Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2024 2:45 am

The easiest way to avoid bubbles is to pump the new fluid through to push the old out, I've never had a problem changing the brake fluid (or clutch fluid on geared bikes) using this method.
Sometimes though if your replacing a brake line or removing a caliper there is no choice than to drain the system down and then the nightmare begins. Holding the lever on overnight helps get those remaining bubbles out, but it's always taken me several goes and pumping though a lot of fluid to get to that stage.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Tip For Bleeding Brakes   Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2024 5:07 am

Not this old chestnut again !

I was always taught that if there's a tool for the job why are you struggling ?
Work smart not hard.
That said, it's only with the advent of technology and combined braking systems, and later the addition of ABS systems that brake bleeding could become rather a pain for the DIYer.

So, how to work smart on your own, for me the only alternative was vacuum bleeding (as used by most manufacturers)
Here there are 2 choices, if you don't own an air compressor then there are these type items.
hand operated...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235567018792?_skw=vacum+brake+bleeder&itmmeta=01JAMF4GCRHFTQRJ47CQYDX569&hash=item36d8e37328:g:QVgAAOSwmqJmRipD&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKkfq%2BiI8cz4RgST0QF%2BmJWrMmZ%2B%2BEKDjQfJlM39NQpgnltb9Eu%2BDEaBWeg1OKtQrv6kP6VSfk%2FRMW7yn2%2BP5%2FHfOwzEnpv8rlL5N7%2BtLxEOuZQrw%2BNVB7QN6FiUOTJ4pGmJCvG1onGyXrZ73rQEccAw7ELNKPezWXuW0OmjRqjztj2w4ia4sCKT4%2FuG2cwv8oPrn1x%2BPLSooIyt8xSOHCjeMa443uCWwcAuYk8E8%2Ft6OgXwsaLHYN%2BdGtzscLWm7EBhlIcz5RXrba%2BVowuNhUCKLL8K%2FVqxZcHoNZVR%2FCT%2Fyw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMuoaSj9Vk

Alternatively if you do own an air compressor (this includes battery/12v operated inflators as well as mains) then one of these works very well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224155528290?_skw=vacum+brake+bleeder&itmmeta=01JAMF4GCRHWR7CX1ZRBX0A4PK&hash=item3430b5ec62:g:ZAgAAOSwyIRfXi~C&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKmHpWLxunNdfKU2kDZ4ZIvGxglDAArj9l2fLAgcqxHw9N9I2jkAIEE%2FNLGyb95%2Bynt9CopKuylbBxwsgLQfzwLBshKMAmK9TaekA3vLaNttbTJcv53JVaa5PMYI5FRG%2BXtoZwx1HPwuavfB6PWVKgKSLoUgM6CyM9L%2Fn%2B484Tp%2BxuLBKaIWZ6cYxr%2FAhc9p%2F82p336vcgs%2F59ljfsL3RBHhtoYu2DWfSgBu0ewA4jzBzd9MO5JRHMNgBlv16SE7GY16WlIkyuj32PrY9UpPv1--ZrkTWhRYKU1y%2Bozw3ELafQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMuoaSj9Vk

Once you have MASTERED the use of the tool, everything becomes easy.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Tip For Bleeding Brakes   Tip For Bleeding Brakes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

Yes, strapping the brake lever overnight "Trick" usually works, if you have minimum air in system and good working components, etc.
I also have several of those "Fancy" brake bleeding tools and they work well, but IMO not a worthy investment for the occasional DIY
type, for a procedure that's usually done every 5yrs or so Rolling Eyes , personally I like to use the plastic water bottle technique on motorcycles,
simple/cheap and easy to cap/seal waste and dispose properly cheers

Just install as shown in pic and pump away, the key to prevent air ingestion when lever is released is a heavy coat of grease ** around bleed valve threads,
I have also done a variation of the technique, using a flexible sealed bottle, you collapse the bottle, and it creates a low pressure/vacuum that draws fluid
out of caliper, it works slightly faster.

** IME, more effective/simpler than trying to apply Teflon tape to threads, etc.

Tip For Bleeding Brakes Home_m10
Tip For Bleeding Brakes Sw40_211
Back to top Go down

Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Page 1 of 1