Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Replacement Screen

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ronslaverda
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ronslaverda

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-10-31

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Has anybody used an MRA Windscreen on their Silver Wing ?
If so how did you find it performed?
I want to reduce the amount of wind noise I get at motorway speeds.
Any help appreciated.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2615
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 pm

The Givi AF214 adjustable is the screen of choice on this forum.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
The Givi AF214 adjustable is the screen of choice on this forum.

I agree with GHM-PM. I had the stock, Givi Standard, Clearview XL with vent, and the Givi AF and I thought the AF was the best. If I were in a place were I rode in cold weather a lot or in rain a lot I think I would have the XL Clearview but without the vent. The vent made mine flex so bad at interstate speed I had to take it off. If you don't ride in cold weather a lot I would have the Givi AF like I did on my former SWing.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2014-06-22

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Although I haven't checked yet, I'm going to try to find an aftermarket windscreen that is a bit wider, but no taller than stock. Even though I'm 6' 0" I like the stock height and have never been able to ride a bike with a windscreen that I can't see 20 feet in front of the bike without looking thru plastic.

I might have to buy one of the aftermarket ones and cut it down if I can't find what I want.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2615
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm

http://www.twtouring.com/HondaShields.htm

Here are some nice ones and you can order the size you want with or without vent. Haven't used them myself but they look fine.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 10:55 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
http://www.twtouring.com/HondaShields.htm

Here are some nice ones and you can order the size you want with or without vent.  Haven't used them myself but they look fine.

Well, thanks for pointing that out, as it forced me to check into it. Those are Clearview screens and Tour Wheel Touring is a dealer for them. I just spec'd out the small with no vent and 4" wider and it's the same price from Clearview's website:
http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/honda/silverwing-600-shields/

It's only 1" taller than stock, which I can live with. I just ordered two of them for our bikes. With shipping it came to $377.71 for two of them.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Chris,

When I had the Clearview it did provide the most protection but like I said earlier...the XL screen flexed very much. Clearview even stopped making the XL with vent for awhile due to the flex. But it did give the most protection which sounds like what you want. I also thought it was better than the Givi Standard since seemed more aerodynamic and let the wind flow over the screen better.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Replacement Screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacement Screen   Replacement Screen I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 12:03 am

JeffR_ wrote:
When I had the Clearview it did provide the most protection but like I said earlier...the XL screen flexed very much.

Jeff, I actually like as much of the wind blast on my helmet face shield as I can get. For riding in rain it helps keep the drops blown off the face shield for clearer vision.

Coming back from Alaska recently we got caught in some cold weather in the 30's and 40's and the width of the Silver Wing's stock windscreen was somewhat of an issue. We got Widder heated vests to keep our body core temp up, but both my wife and I got cold arms within 2-3 hours. I feel that the windscreen could stand to be a bit wider to help reduce the wind that hits your shoulders and arms. It wouldn't take much, and I think 2" on each side will probably do the trick.

I see no need for the vent. The Silver Wing's windscreen is vented as it is and it has no problems with pressure equalization behind the screen, as it's a pretty large vent just below the fascia.

The bikes that always had serious unequal pressure problems were the ST1100's. The "cat eye" cutouts in the windscreen on those bikes didn't work worth crap until you got to 100 mph. Supposedly the ST1100's fairing and windscreen was wind tunnel designed. But Honda must've designed it for triple digit speeds on the Autobahn, and not North American riding.
Back to top Go down

Replacement Screen
Page 1 of 1