Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive faces
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Today at 6:04 pm

» Power to gps handlebar mounted
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 4:42 pm

» Givi AF214 Airflow Adjustable Windshield install on 2012 SW
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby AGWING Today at 11:38 am

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hi from Grantham, UK

Go down 
+2
MikeO
hawkeye3guns
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hawkeye3guns
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-11-09

Hi from Grantham, UK Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 6:36 am

Hi all my son has just bought a 2002 wing in need of TLC, Hence dad's got the job.  I have repaired and resprayed all the panels and have given the engine a look over she's done 172,498 miles from new but had a oil and filter change every 2,000 miles and so pulls and rides lovely,
I have fitted a new drive belt and rollers and tyres, also replaced the rear disc and pads and handbrake caliper and pads.
I have 2 problems ;- 1) the rear brakes work but the lever is almost touching the handle bar.
                              2) after its first ride the temparature was normal until I got home and then it shot up and the coolant shot out.
I have found the rad is shot so I'm replacing it and the thermostat housing and water pump
Is there a procedure for refilling and bleeding the system when I refill it?
Also as an aside where can I get a Worshop service manual for her thats is in english and not german.
I have always had old bikes and cars and restored / rebuilt them and so consider myself a decent mechanic but I know that sometimes a manufactures worshop manual helps with correct procedures.
can anyone offer assistance.
I have attached a picture of how she looks after my rebuild for your comments.
regards Denzil
Attachments
Hi from Grantham, UK Attachmentweb picture.jpg
how she looks after rebuild
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(30 Kb) Downloaded 38 times
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3821
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 8:55 am

Hello Denzil and welcome!

Plenty of people here who really do know how to 'do' things to a Silverwing and ready to help.

That's a very tasty-looking bike! Smile
Back to top Go down
hawkeye3guns
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi MikeO
Thanks for the comment, For modern bike she fairly well built but I think I prefer my BSA's at least I can get at all the mechanics, without having to strip half the bike LoL.
Seriously these modern watercooled bikes are powerfull and I will admit a pleasure to ride our other bike is a yamaha Majesty YP250 and is also smooth to ride.
Trying to sort out the cooling system seems a bit of a nightmare though, so looking forward to some expert help.
regards Denzil
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Denzil,

Welcome to the site and hope it can help you out. I think you have the highest mileage SWing that I have heard of with 172,000 miles. You should be able to get he info you need here since there are many who have done some extensive work on theirs. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
hawkeye3guns
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi JeffR,
thanks for the welcome note. I was quite suprised at the milage myself but the bike came with all the UK MOT papers from new and the milage is recorded on each one, so the milage can be taken as genuine. There is a lot of reciepts as well so I think most of the bikes history is recorded.
Once I get this cooling system working I guess My son (and maybe me if I can get the Keys) will keep on putting the miles in.
regards Denzil
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 5:34 pm

welcome  
Denzil welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web. With your history of motorcycles you'll have no problem taking care of the Silverwing. You can learn a lot about you scooter on this site. The links below will tell you most anything you may want to know and if you can't find what you need in them we have a pretty good search here and of course you can always just ask and someone will try to get you the information you need.
Maintenance, Tips and Hints
"Pictorials" Maintenance
accessories-modifications
There are a lot of online dealers for an OEM service manual you can use but I'm not sure what's best for you on that side of the pond. Someone from over there probably will give you more information for OEM suppliers. Enjoy your "new" Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hi from Grantham, UK 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 8:20 pm

cheers cheers welcome cheers cheers What a lucky son! You do realize that the front and rear brakes are linked and there is not a separate rear brake. There should be advice on adjusting them by using the search box. The right brake lever controls the front, while the left controls the linked front and rear. With your experience, you should be able to do most of the basic maintenance. This may have all been covered in Roger's links.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 12:50 am

Denzil something I forgot to mention is although the rear brake lever seems like it comes too close to the handlebars that is normal. I believe it's designed that way because it has to engage the second switch to allow the starter to run. I thought it was odd when I first started riding a Silverwing too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 5:17 am

Hello & Welcome Smile

With regard to bleeding the cooling system I will get on typing it in here this evening, with regard to the service manual, there does not appear to be a download available Sad so it is paper only
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Grantham, UK   Hi from Grantham, UK I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 7:22 am

Welcome from Dallas... One of the first things I bought was the service manual. Lots of good info here also.
Back to top Go down

Hi from Grantham, UK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: