Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mixed Roller Weights in Variator

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Mixed Roller Weights in Variator Empty
PostSubject: Mixed Roller Weights in Variator   Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Can someone please explain how mixing variator roller (slider) weights will effect performance?

Tim

masscoot wrote:
Ron,

I did not measure my RPM, but I agree on the smoothness. The the lag between 40-50 is eliminated and it is one smooth pull all the way through the throttle. The roller-chatter on take off is also gone. I have noticed a small reduction in RPM but having not measured it I can't be sure. My current MPG's have not been adversely affected, still in the mid to upper 50's (58 last tank). The first tankful after the slider install was affected and dropped to 51-52mpg due to many WOT's Laughing ...I mean testing!
I am happy with the results, next experiment is to mix two different weights (28g & 22g) alternating them in the slider slots. A friend did this and reports even better performance Wink
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Mixed Roller Weights in Variator   Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 11:47 pm

It would seem to me that mixing the weights would cause accelerated wear on the heavier weight since they'd be doing most of the work at a given rpm. Not to mention possible warping of the variactor since the weights wouldn't be at the same distance from the hub at a given rpm. It might not be a real concern but something to think about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mixed Roller Weights in Variator   Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:30 pm

The theory is to achieve a "middle weight" effect. If all you can get are 24s and 28s, and you want 26s, you'd try mixing them.

Don't know if it works or not.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Mixed Roller Weights in Variator   Mixed Roller Weights in Variator I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 am

Exavid you raise a good point, one I have not reasearched on my own. When I stated this point it was from a conversation I had with a fellow SWing rider. His info came from Matt at Scootertrap from a conversation about which sliders to install. I have not had a chance to talk with either since but plan on doing the "mix" myself in the spring (if spring comes this year). I know Matt visits sites like ours from time to time maybe he will chime in. The new material that DR Pulley is using is a real slick composite, Im not sure if there will be a wear or warping issue. That being said, it is still a cost effective upgrade to our SWings that increases the performance vs the JCosta roller pin swap-outs every 10K. Sadly, my SWing is tucked away in the frozen tundra that used to be my back yard. I hope to get to it during the first thaw when I inspect the belt and add some dry lube.
Back to top Go down

Mixed Roller Weights in Variator
Page 1 of 1