Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from Northern Ireland

Go down 
+4
model28a
JeffR
Dale N.
Gordy23
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gordy23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-23

Hello from Northern Ireland  Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Hello folks. After a lifetime on motorbikes, I have just plumped for my first scooter; a 2002 Silverwing. And I LOVE it. I have to admit my decision to go down the scooter route was somewhat forced on me by a few health problems, but I do wish I'd discovered the joys of the feet-forward life years ago. I've one little problem maybe some of you guys could help me with? The seat will not engage with the latch. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. G
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Welcome Gordy23 to the best SWing site on the Net. I have an 08 SWing and I have to "slam" the seat pretty hard to get it to latch. Also, just a thought, try spraying some WD-40 or reasonable lube spray, on the latch. It might just be a bit sticky and not want to latch properly.

There are lots of people here with lots more knowledge than I have about the SWing so maybe someone else will have a better solution.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Gordy,

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SWing. Like Dale said, you may just need to shut it a bit harder so it latches but you may also want to remove the light bulb in the seat compartment so it doesn't stay on and run down your battery. Also, if you have your seat compartment loaded with stuff and find your seat won't open then just push down on the middle of the seat (the top of the butt rest) hard and then turn the key. Sometimes the seat is 'quirky' until you get to know your bike.

But the SWing is a very nice bike and will take you anywhere you want to go in comfort.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 8:45 pm

welcome Gordy welcome to the forum. You've found the best place for everything Silverwing.
First I would look at the back latch under the seat and see if it is in the open position, if it's not then turn the key and see if it will open. If it is open then see if you can push it closed, then turn the key and see if it will open. Usually it takes a good push to close the seat. Just put the seat down then push down kind of hard on the back of the seat.
Let me know what you find out after trying some of the things I've suggested. After I hear what you find out and if it's still not working I may still be able to help.      

If you plan on doing your own maintenance you'll find you can do anything you need or want with the service manual and help from this forum. I add the paragraph below for most new members because there's a lot of information in the links and may save you some work.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
Gordy23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks guys - for the welcome and the advice. The latch is in the open position and i can push it closed. I tried spraying it with WD40 but it was actually already fairly well lubricated and not seized or stubborn. I guess it must just be an alignment problem of some sort. I notice the bulb is already gone; I guess the previous owner has already discovered that issue. Roger; thanks so much for those links - v useful. Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from Northern Ireland  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:31 pm

welcome Welcome to the forum Gordy. The links Roger gives are very helpful. You might narrow your search by typing seat latch into the search box on the upper left side of the forum page. There was one that was titled "Seat latch won't lock down" from Skippy that might help with your problem. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 pm

My 11 swing seat locks with difficulty too. I set in in position then press firnly. Even so the seat wants to rattle unless I put a 1/4" pad between the seat and the body.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Gordy & welcome from a somewhat in-frequent poster here. A great and knowledgeable group you have found here. I close my seat then "thump" it with my fist to engage the latch. You can hear it snap. If not engaged the light may stay on and drain the battery.

Where in NI is home? I had a tour of Bangor, Belfast, Porta Ferry, Grey Abbey with visits to Ulster Folk Museum and that great Museum of Transportation. ( How about the scooter collection in that place !!) Daft Eddy's was a fun stop too. The tour of Bushmills Distillery was a bit rushed - we got there for the last tour of the day.

Good luck with the seat latch.
Mike
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
 The tour of Bushmills Distillery was a bit rushed

That's just sinful, of all the places to be rushed Bushmills Distillery shouldn't be one of them. Evil or Very Mad  I'd have to stop at the closest pub and at least ceremonially finished the tour myself. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Gordy23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 am

Daft Eddy's eh? You are a man of discernment Mike! I used to be a regular visitor there after Sunday morning attempts to drown myself in sailing races on Strangford Lough. I must confess, I haven't been in years - but you've given me a good idea for my next outing on the 'Wing; with Spring (just about) springing, a wee spin down to Skettrick Island sounds like just the ticket. I'm from a little village called Richhill, near Armagh, famous for its apple orchards and..... ....errrr.....its apple orchards. Sleepy hardly covers it. Still no joy with the latch I'm afraid although, to be honest, it doesn't cause me much of a problem except, I guess, security for my stuff when I'm parked up.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4211
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2015 5:24 am

model28a wrote:
Mike from NS wrote:
 The tour of Bushmills Distillery was a bit rushed

That's just sinful, of all the places to be rushed Bushmills Distillery shouldn't be one of them. Evil or Very Mad  I'd have to stop at the closest pub and at least ceremonially finished the tour myself. Twisted Evil

I've been to the Bushmills Distillery a couple of times, I was last there about 5 years ago when I was over in Norn Iron for a few days on my 650 Burgman. I went there simply as a respite from the non stop rain. I didn't bother with the tour as I've been round a couple of distilleries in Scotland, so I had a long lunch and bought a few things in the shop.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northern Ireland    Hello from Northern Ireland  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Gordy,
If you can't lock the seat down ... the light may remain on ... and this will kill the battery.

A little background on my visit to NI:  It was 1997 and the couple from whom my wife & I were taking ballroom lessons were going home (to Newtonards) on a visit. Eight of their "students" went on the trip (following by a week) as well.  Great time was had for sure.  The teachers were the tour guides.  Stops included several pubs and touristy points of interest.  The troubles in NI were settling down but on the day we were in Belfast we witnessed an Orange-man's Parade complete with following bomb trucks. Other stops were places like; The Stables in Bangor, Carrickfergus Castle, NI, The Giant's Causeway, Betty's of Arundells, Crawfordsburn Inn for lunch. We waited at the Europa Hotel for our ride back to where we stayed (The Shelleven B&B in Bangor near the Marina)  after a play at The Old Opera House in Belfast ....Many many more pub stops along the way that week !  One thing that sticks out in my mind about Daft Eddy's was the tree around which it seems the place was built.  The Bushmills tour was -- we blend stuff here, over there we "cook" the brew (my words - not theirs), at that end we bottle it, through this door is the Queen Mother's keg storage area, and go through this door for your samples ... have a nice day - thanks for coming.  It was a nice gift shop however -- wasn't it Meldrew.

I think we may have gotten as far as Portadown.  Probably not much closer to Richill than that.  The tour guides had arranged a van to drive us around to various spots. The locomotives, jump jet and automobile displays in the Transportation Museum could have easily occupied the entire week.

Roger .. there were many pub stops that made up for the hasty distillery tour !

Good luck with the seat latch Gordy ... have one for me at Daft Eddy's

Mike
Back to top Go down

Hello from Northern Ireland
Page 1 of 1