Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Final Drive Oil

Go down 
+26
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
forkthem2002
GHM-PM
rollsroyce250
Dimond
pauldeere
model28a
Silverwing28681
RickV
AAAA
JeffR_
Ishkatan
JamieB
arquesf
DaveR
GaryL
MaxB
bigbird
Slick-Tenn
sw2009
honda_silver
thomphoto
JeffR
Cornishman
chieninhouston
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-09-04

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Spent sometimes reading the owner's manual of my 2008 Swing. Not able to find the recommended oil, the changing intervals, and the quantity required for the final drive.

I understand this question may have been asked a lot. But this poor soul really wanted to know. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Here's a tutorial from the other Silverwing site.

I have no reason to doubt the facts but use it at your own risk!

http://silverwing.org/mwf/attach/85/25485/FinalDriveOilChange.pdf
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:50 am

Hi,

I did that Pictorial and it is on this site too. Just make sure you rotate the tire after you drain the oil. I forgot to put that in the Pictorial when I did it. You will be able to get some more oil out of the bike too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 3:18 am

Sorry Jeff I should have checked for availability on here first.
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:58 am

Thank you Jeff,

So either gear oil or engine oil will work? How come I could not find anything in the owner's manual? Strange.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:48 am

The reason it's not mentioned in the owners manual is because Honda doesn't want YOU doing it. They want you to take it to the stealership for this simple operation.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 am

thomphoto wrote:
The reason it's not mentioned in the owners manual is because Honda doesn't want YOU doing it. They want you to take it to the stealership for this simple operation.

You got the point there. Then they should at least mention that you need to take your ride to stealer at 300 miles, 500 miles, etc. Or the bike is going to blow or something.

Without mentioning this anywhere would just lead me to believe that I don't have to do anything to it. If I am not a member of this forum. The final drive oil might just as well be neglected.

Wow, I get it. The stealer then can charge an arm and leg to replace the whole unit. Very smart, very smart.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:16 pm

I only found out about changing the final drive oil after I got on the Silverwing.org forum. Luckily, it was just about 2 years since I got the swing, when it was due to be changed.
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:26 pm

How many miles on the meter? What did you used? Gear oil or motor oil?
Got my 2008 last week. 2310 miles on the meter. The previous owner was able to provide receipt for oil and oil filter change. Not the final drive oil change. So I am thinking about changing the final drive oil in the next couple days. Any info will be really appreciated.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Cornishman,

I think I may start a totally seperate topic for "Pictorials" only. That way they will be easier to find for those that want to use them. We have others that have provided pictures and instructions so we could start a library that way. I was looking around for them just to see how easy they are to find here and it isn't as easy as I hoped, when I started the seperate topics when this forum was new. So I think I will do that.
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:03 pm

JeffR wrote:
Cornishman,

I think I may start a totally seperate topic for "Pictorials" only. That way they will be easier to find for those that want to use them. We have others that have provided pictures and instructions so we could start a library that way. I was looking around for them just to see how easy they are to find here and it isn't as easy as I hoped, when I started the seperate topics when this forum was new. So I think I will do that.

That's a wonderful idea. You are the man Jeff. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Good idea Jeff, I think that's a winner.

Bob
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 3:07 pm

JeffR wrote:
Cornishman,

I have written a couple How-To instructions no pictures (I am waiting for JeffR to add pictures Laughing ) ... but the instructions (I hope) are very clear.

Could we label it a "How-To" or "Self-maintenance instruction" sections ... just in case someone does not have pictorials??

It would help if the topics would be locked to prevent discussion ... a separate thread would allow discussion ... then if additional "key" maintenance points are later found/determined then it could be added to the very minimal thread ... which would be really short to read?
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 7:20 am

One more question (sorry Final Drive Oil Icon_redface ). Now I am pretty confidence to do this SIMPLE project. I have the oil, have the long nose oil can. Now, some said that those 2 washers better to be replaced in the process. I would like to do that if I could. Anybody knows the exact size, and kind.
I tried to get info from the online OEM parts fiche without success. Can the regular 8MM washer from the Home Depot or Lowe's do the trick? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:03 am

If you're careful in removing the washers, I don't think you need to replace them every time you change the final drive oil.
Same with the rubber o ring when you change the engine oil, it's good for several changes before you need to replace it.
Back to top Go down
sw2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Final Drive Oil Recommended By Honda:

Recently bought a new 2009 Silverwing.

Page 3-16 or the 2002-2009 Service Manual calls for Pro Honda GN$ 4-stroke oil or equivalent

API service classification SG or higher.

JASO T903 Standard: MA

Viscosity 10W-30.

This information is repeated on Page 3-2 of this same manual.

Jim from Stanwood, WA
Back to top Go down
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 4:11 pm

sw2009 wrote:
Final Drive Oil Recommended By Honda:

Recently bought a new 2009 Silverwing.

Page 3-16 or the 2002-2009 Service Manual calls for Pro Honda GN$ 4-stroke oil or equivalent

API service classification SG or higher.

JASO T903 Standard: MA

Viscosity 10W-30.

This information is repeated on Page 3-2 of this same manual.

Jim from Stanwood, WA

Thank you Jim,

I am waiting for my service manual. Looks like a nice manual.
You have a good day.
Back to top Go down

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:47 pm

You don't want to use gear oil unless actual hypoid gears are involved, but I have no idea what's inside there.

I'd suggest 10w30 synthetic.
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:40 pm

chieninhouston wrote:
Spent sometimes reading the owner's manual of my 2008 Swing. Not able to find the recommended oil, the changing intervals, and the quantity required for the final drive.

I understand this question may have been asked a lot. But this poor soul really wanted to know. Thank you.
7/27/10 Bought an 03 recently and called my local Honda Service Dept. He said they use "Honda Gear Oil" - whatever that is. Smell the stuff that you drain out - gear oil has a distinctive smell.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 12:15 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 am

mickey wrote:
You don't want to use gear oil unless actual hypoid gears are involved, but I have no idea what's inside there.

I'd suggest 10w30 synthetic.

The gears in the final drive are strait cut gears. and thus would be in the gear oil category. (from 35 yrs of Industrial maintenance perspective)

I use synthetic 75w90 oil in mine.

When looking into this swap, I found that the specs (pour viscosity) for gear oils and motor oils are a different chart. but in one article it showed that when comapred side by side that the 75w90 gear oil has slmost the same specs as 10w40 motor oil. So is compatible as far as wear protection. Also gear oil doesn't have an additive (brain freeze) that is detrimental to brass based thrust washers. So it is better for gears.

Edit: do a search for "gear oil vs. motoroil" and you can find it for yourself.

Hope this helps.

MaxB ( who lost a lot of esoteric data when PC died recently)
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 9:02 am

I have a opinion that Honda did the 10w30 motor oil recommendation, for people that may not have gear oil available.
But they do have that little extra motor oil left from changing the engine oil. it only takes like 3-4 oz. to do the tranny. And we all have that much left after an oil change on the engine.
What do you think????

MaxB (who is thinking too much)
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Another one of my 'For what it's worth' comments...

I had a 1988 Honda Accord with a manual transmission. You were supposed to replace the transmission oil every 30k miles. Guess what the replacement recommendation was? 10W-30 motor oil... the same stuff that went into the crankcase. I put in 10W-30 Synthetic oil (Mobile 1), and it stayed in there for the balance of 200,000 miles. Never had a problem, and that was the smoothest shifting transmission I ever had.

I don't think that the service manual recommendation for the final drive oil is an accident.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 pm

I use Honda 30 oil in my final drive it is a 2005 as recommended in the service book. I have changed mine two times and just turned 16000 miles. To fill mine I use a bottle made of nylon plastic material like you dispense catsup or mustard. It holds a cup and one half when full...
Old Dave
Back to top Go down

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 3:37 pm

I use Amsoil (synthetic; that's all they make) 10-40 and a pump type oil can. Seems to work alright.
Back to top Go down
arquesf
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 am

First, hi everybody from Spain (EUROPE).I have a SW400 (I think in EEUU SW only 600).AT the Spanish SW400 2006 owner manual (european I think)recommended 10w40 synthetic oil:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/16/07/39/53/image011.jpg

Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Final drive oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Been reading the final drive oil recommendation thread with great interest.

I am going to perform this task very soon, can someone tell me please the amount of 10w-30 oil needed?

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Just keeping filling it until it starts to seep out of the hole where you fill it with oil. The amount is 10oz but just keep filling it up until it drips out.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Many thanks Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I have a few pictures in my motorcycle album showing the Oil holes with the plastic covers off.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Safier/Motorcycles#

I had a level check question but it was answered by the link that appeared earlier but I just saw. I'm in cluding it because it is so useful
https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/16/07/39/53/image011.jpg

Last edited by Ishkatan on Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 6:37 pm

The final drive holds 10 oz of oil. Just keep filling it until it starts to seep back out and you know you have just enough.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:07 pm

My manual transmission Ford Ranger 5 speed takes, wait for it . . . . . . . . . . . . . automatic transmission fluid. Because its thinner than gear oil, and does the same thing. I made the mistake of putting gear oil in it and it was sluggish, it was taking to much of what little power it had to slog through the molasses of the thick oil. Im guessing that is why Honda wants you to use motor oil, makes sense to me.

I put amsoil 10/40 synth in the gear case, and i will probably never have to mess with it again.
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 5:11 pm

chieninhouston wrote:

Sorry! Honda just won't convince me that 10W30 motor oil will do the job lubricating gears! I use nothing but Amsoil 80W90 synthetic gear oil. Your transmission will thank you!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 5:17 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:16 am

x

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:53 pm

x

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Never doubt what Honda tells us to do in the owners manual and maintenance manual. They know what they are doing so don't try to second guess them with all of your own ideas. It will only lead to problems and costly ones at that.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Just a note on my drive oil experience.

My 2002 SW Service Manual recommends the Honda GN-4 10W-40 - pg 3-16 - no surprise there.

My 2002 SW has experienced vibration starting out and the corresponding plastic vibration - new belt and 16K service performed at 12K this Spring and given clean bill of health.

After reading this post of drive oil, took off covers and looked at belt and such - almost no dust inside from this years riding and all looked OK -decided to check the drive oil and it didn't look right to me [changed last year and used Honda GN-4 10W-40 - about 3k miles ago]. Drained the oil and it appeared like it had broken down - following Big Bird I used my Shell Rotella T 15W-40 JASO-MA oil for the refill.

Can't explain it but the vibration has all but disappeared and much much smoother starting out - will monitor next Spring again because riding will end shortly here. I do intend to shorten my drive oil maintenance intervals which is listed as every 2 years.

I am much happier with my SW and been riding it more than my Scarabeo now.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm

x

Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Big Bird,
I agree totally - changing the drive oil should not have changed anything with the clutch or belt - I did take off the aluminum drive cover to expose the belt and have done so about 4 times before - there is evidence of belt slap on the bottom of that cover and was the first time so don't know if new belt is flexing that much - I was slightly surprised that there was virtually no belt dust inside. Put everything back together as I have in the past.
Also, performed oil and filter change - replaced Castrol 10W-40 Synthetic with Valvoline 10W-40 4T Motorcycle oil which has the JASO-MA standard. The Castrol was the previous owners recommendation but always thought there was a little excessive engine noise though no oil usage. Believe the engine has quieted down a bit so happy there and about having better high rpm valve protection.

BTW, still riding here in MN - in 50's yesterday; was out last Saturday with morning temp at 30 but with sunshine. Not ready to put the scoots away just yet.

Rick V

Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 1:35 pm

I was out today and went to my local Honda shop. I asked about changing the final drive oil in my Silverwing, They said to use 80w-90 hypoid gear oil. I got a quart it was $12.99. It is Bel-Ray brand, It does not seem to be much thicker then 10-40 or so motor oil.

Any thoughts ? Thanks !
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 3:49 pm

The Silverwing takes the same oil for the final drive as the engine takes. In fact it will use just about what is left of the third quart after an oil change.
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-19

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 am

After changing the final drive oil and useing 75-90 gear oil I noticed foaming, so I switched back to 10w30 motor oil, absolutely no foam
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:53 pm

pauldeere wrote:
... I noticed foaming...
How did you NOTICE foaming? Open the fill port and see foam oozing out?
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Took the side cover off to clean the air intake filter that I had forgot, thought I would recheck the final drive oil that I had changed the day before, taking out the high point fill plug the oil oozed out I immediately noticed that the oil was FOAMY..........The gear oil that I used was 75-90 Rotella non synthetic.......
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 7:37 pm

pauldeere wrote:
taking out the high point fill plug the oil oozed out I immediately noticed that the oil was FOAMY..........The gear oil that I used was 75-90 Rotella non synthetic.......
Because you overfilled the final drive, not because it was gear oil.
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 am

Whatever..........
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 am

pauldeere wrote:
Whatever..........
You're welcome.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 3:23 pm

rollsroyce250 wrote:
pauldeere wrote:
taking out the high point fill plug the oil oozed out I immediately noticed that the oil was FOAMY..........The gear oil that I used was 75-90 Rotella non synthetic.......
Because you overfilled the final drive, not because it was gear oil.
Um, just a question. If you fill the final drive until oil weeps out the filler hole...how do you overfill it?
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 3:27 pm

GHM-PM wrote:

Um, just a question.  If you fill the final drive until oil weeps out the filler hole...how do you overfill it?
That's an easy one.
You can add oil into the hole a lot faster than the oil can drain out.
How do you fill the final drive? Not by gravity, but by pressure. How does the oil drain out? By gravity.
Make sense?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Final Drive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final Drive Oil
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next