Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow

Go down 
+11
MikeO
cooperthebeagle
dspevack
Bash On!
steve_h80
GHM-PM
Cookie
JeffR
oldwingguy
exavid
Reg
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi everyone. Been riding various motorcycles all my life.
But tomorrow I am likely going to look at 2009 Silverwing.
It has 13,000KM on the OD.

Are there any problems I should be looking for?

How long do the tires last?.

Thanks in advance.
Reg.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 8:12 pm

I've had two Silverwings and purchased two others for friends. The main thing I look for is cosmetics. The plastic parts are expensive so if they show much wear or damage I'd go elsewhere. Look at the underside of the scooter to see if it has a lot of oily dirt which might mean an oil leak. It should start up and idle smoothly. Take a look at the temperature gauge before stating up. It's preferable to check an engine when it hasn't been previously warmed up. That can hide a hard to start or fuel injection problems. Other than that find out how many miles the CVT belt has on it. If it's over 9000 miles or so I'd want a $100 drop in price. You an install a new belt yourself if you have any tools. Lots of info on that job. There's a couple of videos on YouTube that show one how step by step. For the most part if a SW looks good, clean and no major scrapes from being dropped, no leaks and starts stops and rides well it probably will be fine. Like most Hondas.

In my experience the tires last about half as long as they do on a Goldwing motorcycle, but they cost less than half as much. I don't remember how many miles I had on my '04 SW but my BMW C650GT got about 6000 miles on the rear. I changed the front tire at the same time but it could have gone a bit longer. I know the 650GT and SW are different but not all that much.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Ask for maintenance records, no records ask who took care of the work. NEVER go by pictures of a bike as a friend learned those minor scrapes were really major. Take it for a ride checking to see how smooth it is.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I got about 10,000 miles on my tires but it kind of depends on the kind of tires but also the roads they were on. There isn't much that has gone wrong with the SWing so if it seems to run good and looks well taken care of then it will probably turn out to be a very good bike. IMO>
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks guys.

I will check out this CVT belt. That is something new to me.
The bike has 13,000KM (8,000 miles) I am hoping it will pass a safety test.
Tires being the main concern.

The best I could get for price is 3700 canadian. That would be about 2900 USD.
He describes it as mint condition on the phone. It is 1 1/2 hours drive away. So we agreed on price
based on his description on the phone. I did not want to haul my trailer there just to find out we could not come to terms on the price.

With any luck I will be the proud new owner of a 2009 Silverwing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 am

Hi Reg,
I find that my rear tyres last around 12,000 miles (19,000 km) and the front about double that. Some people report considerably less though so it's worth having a good look at the rear tyre as it could be getting near the end of its life or maybe has already been changed.
Bear in mind that the tyres are 7 years old and some tyre manufacturers are now saying that tyres should be replaced after 5 years or so whatever the mileage - a lot of people ignore this. There should be date codes on the walls of the tyres somewhere so you can see if they are originals or not.

The belt change interval is given by Honda as 16,000 miles (25 - 26,000 km). Many people go a few thousand longer than that without apparent problems. So, you should be ok for a while on the belt.

See if you can peer in and check the brake pad thicknesses. Mine are just coming up to being due a change after 25,000 miles (40,000 km) but I am pretty light on the brakes and some people have reported having to change them considerably earlier.
Also it's worth asking if the brake fluid has been changed as it should really have been by now. Have a look in the little windows in the reservoirs and see if it looks clear or dark in colour.

These aren't deal breakers as the jobs are pretty easy to do but it will give an indication of how well it's been looked after.

Don't forget to check the coolant level. You don't need to take anything off to do this but you do have to get your head down by the floor and look up inside the fairing on the right hand (non brake) side. Look up between the front forks and the fairing and you should see the reservoir. Give the bike a wiggle to make the water move and it's easier to see where the level is. It's just another indication of whether the bike has been neglected or not.

Ask whether the battery is original or not - I doubt a 7 year old battery would have a lot of sparkle left in it.

At that mileage there shouldn't be any problems but, since checks cost nothing, it's worth doing them.

Good luck and I hope it goes well and you are soon the new owner of a great machine.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 8:19 am

Thanks so much. You guys are the greatest. I am heading for Ottawa in a few minutes.
Going to print this list to have as a guide.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 am

Sounds like a good deal! At 8K Honda wants the spark plugs replaced... See if that has been done. Not a big deal and I feel that the interval is premature. I did change mine simply because I had the extended warranty and did not want an excuse to void that. Easy job to replace them so no worries. Unless tires have been changed, I would definitely consider changing them. This is a safety issue even with only 8K on them, the SW can do freeway speeds so you do not want to get in trouble with tires. Good luck and post pix if you get this scoot!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1021
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Have you bought it then?
Or do I have wait for tomorrows exciting installment :-)
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I got it. Everything was as the seller said. It is mint condition. The seller was a super nice guy.
85 years old. He gave me a load of extras. A high visibility jacket with padding in the right places. riding boots (fit perfect) helmet, gloves, bike cover,manuals,service records.
Everything looks brand new.
He had just done a service that included spark plugs and a new Yusa battery. Also a Yusa battery tender. He had changed the mirrors to something larger and installed high vis leds lights.

I had it out for an hour this evening. Seemed a bit weird at first. Definitely a scooter feel.
But I am getting adjusted and I like it. Big change from my Honda 1800vtx. But very similar color.

Going to try and post pics.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Awesome! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow 20160813
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow 20160814
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow 20160815
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Reg,

Good news and congrats. It looks really nice. It is more powerful than many think a scooter can be. It also cruises very nice on the interstate as well.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 12:30 am

Matching colors, nice! Now you just need to get a decent windshield on it. Givi Adjustable, makes a whole 'nother bike out of it.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 8:32 am

Guru,. You read my mind. The stock windshield top edge is right in my sight line.
I find myself sitting tall to see over or crouching to look thru. I prefer to look over.

If you have the time, could you post a pic or yours with the Givi.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 8:39 am

Very nice scoot, congrats! Looks like you got a smoking deal on that one.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 am

Reg,

You might want to look thru the picture albums that users have posted on this site for some examples of what is possible with your wing. And givi has a mount specifically for the Swing that will give you top box storage comparable to your current bike.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 am

I will do that. Right now is my first full day of onwership and I am going for a 200km scoot.

But first I need to check in the garage and make sure the VTX and the Swing got along alright last night. Smile I think the VTX is a boy and the Swing is a girl. So should be fine. Just hope I don't have a bunch of pocket bikes running around in there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Here's a couple of pictures on one of my previous SWs with the Givi Adjustable. In the pics the windshield is at it's highest setting
Attachments
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow Attachmentscooter7.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(188 Kb) Downloaded 27 times
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow Attachmentscooter6.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(100 Kb) Downloaded 27 times
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 pm

I found I could move the back rest back a bit. Now I just see over the windshield the way I like.
Thanks for the pics.

There looks to be some kind of access panel in front of the seat and behind the gas filler. Does that serve a purpose?
Back to top Go down
cooperthebeagle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Nice scooter. Sounds like you got a very good deal with everything tossed in.

I am not sure what the panel is, so will leave that answer to the more knowledgeable. I am like you - new to the Silverwing.

I just put a Cee Bailey windshield on mine. Ran about $140 delivered. Not sure how much that price changes shipping it to Canada. Keep that in mind for comparisons with the Givi, if that time comes. Got a tall windshield since I sit high.

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 pm

Reg,

That is where the spark plugs are.  I have done many Pictorials and if you go to the "Pictorial" section (maintenance) you will see my Pictorial on how to access this panel to check your spark plugs.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t22-spark-plug-removal-and-replacement-pictorial
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 7:44 am

Very tasty!

Methinks those are Suzuki Burgman400 mirrors - a straight swap.

I'm tempted. Wink
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks Jeff. I just knew that something was under there. Might even find a motor. Smile

I will for sure check the pictorial section.

Mike. Yep the old guy changed the motors. He would have done it at the Honda dealer.
All his work was done there.

Today I got to rearrange my garage.It is just a single. But now contains a car,motorcycle and the Silverwing. There has to be a way to make all three accessible without having to switch them
around all the time.

It's been 30 - 33c here everyday. No rain.
This morning is a bit cloudy. So good chance to do it.

I notice a few of you gents are from the UK. Started out there myself.
The scooters must be popular there.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 8:45 am

The Maxiscooter scene is alive and kicking here in the UK.
In fact, we're spoilt for choice both with machines and scooter forums.
I started with a Piaggio X9250 and have ended up with the Silverwing and on this forum, and very happy I am, too.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 9:19 am

Congrats Reg on what sure looks like a great deal and your Silverwing! Late to this thread but checking the tires for age would have been my top suggestion. The tire wear on mine wasn't bad but upon a closer look I found old rubber cracks and looking at the date code I found they were 10 years old !!!

Both bikes look wonderful .... ride carefully and get all the enjoyment the Silverwing has to offer -- it has lots to offer!

Mike
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 3:05 pm

All I have to say is: thumbs up

Be careful when you twist that throttle. The "little girl" has some get up and go.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 3:42 pm

MikeO wrote:
... snipped ... Methinks those are Suzuki Burgman400 mirrors - a straight swap

You are correct MikeO. Did the same with my SW. They provide so much better rear and side visibility.

Congrats Reg and welcome to the maxi-scooter community.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 6:14 pm

MikeO wrote:
Very tasty!

Methinks those are Suzuki Burgman400 mirrors - a straight swap.

I'm tempted. Wink

You were exactly right. Met a guy today with an 05 400 Burgman.
My mirrors are identical.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow   Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow 20160811

My view on scooters is that they have come down on price to being darn reasonable. I recently picked up this 2004 shown about for slightly less than 2k. I'd have a hard time shelling out 3k or more for one, due to the fact once you get into that kind of money it doesn't cost much more and you get into the good used Goldwing category and such. I think the SilverWing is a versatile, handy bike at the price point mentioned above.
Back to top Go down

Going to look at my first scooter tomorrow
Page 1 of 1