Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition Switch
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 5:16 am

» Lift Without A Lift
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 5:25 pm

» LED Headlights
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» 2003 ABS Silverwing re fresh
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» 2003 ABS info on recall work
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Fri Oct 25, 2024 5:00 am

» Handlebar Holder Recall
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

This came in out of the blue.

Go down 
+2
jdeereanton
KurtPerthWA
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2009-01-19

This came in out of the blue. Empty
PostSubject: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 12:54 am

Poignant and interesting.

It's amazing how this gets around. * ANZAC... Australian and New Zealand Army Corp,
circa WW1

For any of you have ever been to a military funeral or Anzac Parade and ceremony in which The Last Post was played; this brings out a new meaning of it.
Here is something everyone should know. Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true: We have all heard the haunting song, 'The Last Post.' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.
But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings. Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the American Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.
During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment. When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead. The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army. The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.
The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral. The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate. But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5pt">
The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform. This wish was granted. The haunting melody, we now know as 'The Last Post' used at military funerals was born. The words are:

Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes
From the hills.
From the sky.
All is well.
Safely rest.
God is nigh.

Fading light.
Dims the sight.

And a star.
Gems the sky.

Gleaming bright.
From afar.
Drawing nigh.
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.
For our days.
Neath the sun
Neath the stars.
Neath the sky

As we go.
This we know.

God is nigh
I too have felt the chills while listening to 'The Last Post' but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse . I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along. I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before. Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.
Also Remember Those Who Have Served And Returned; and for those presently serving in the Armed Forces.
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:17 am

The Last Post or Taps as we call it here is an extremely beautiful yet haunting piece of music. It brings me to tears just about everytime I hear it.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:09 am

I have attended dozens of military funerals. When you experience a service with "Taps", Honor Guard and a fly over of some kind, it has to move your spirit.
Another thing I notice now is the youth of the fallen soldier. I too did not know the story of the origin of the tune. But I have always been aware that the service I have attended was someone's son or daughter.
By the way Kurt... I have never attended a military service of any one that was not American. You have pricked my curiosity. Are they similar in nature in Australia to the American ones? What about the other countries in Europe and the UK?
Just as a side note on this subject. If you want to learn something about American respect for our military, find and watch the movie "Taking Chance" staring Kevin Bacon.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:34 am

I suppose they must be Gary, with ANZAC Day 25th April, being "the" day with usually a large contingent of Aussies at Gallipolli in Turkey where it all began and France where it all finished.

There are marches on ANZAC Day in every city large and small in Oz by all the vets from whatever war or altercation they were involved in. Much beer is consumed while the tradition of 2 up is still honoured and kept alive by the diggers of today.

The other "big" military day is Remembrance Day
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2598
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Kurt,

Thanks for posting that. It is a moving song when it is played and I never knew it had words. I remember in boot camp they played it everynight, over the loudspeakers, for 3 months straight. Even then it was moving.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:14 pm

I heard this about a year ago and although it is identified as "TAPS", it is actually an Italian song (Il Silenzio) written well after the American Civil War in the 1960s that has a beginning that resembles Taps. I enjoy listening to it over and over... this young lady is very talented. Song title means "the silence".

Again... I Repeat... Thank you all for serving your countries. It is so important for you all to know how you are responsible for the fun and blessings we have to enjoy things like this forum. I never want to take you for granted.

God IS nigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ9VZixY7-0
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3828
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Not a great deal of marching on Remembrance Sunday in the UK although the troops obviously march to their positions in Whitehall, the road between Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square (near the Houses of Parliament).

In the middle of the road is the Cenotaph, the focus of the Parade and Service.
The Queen, senior members of the Royal Family, representitives of the Government, the Commonwealth High Commissioners and people from the Civil and Military Services lay wreaths.
A short service is conducted by the Bishop of London, after which the Last Post is sounded and then groups of ex-servicemen do march past the Cenotaph while the combined military bands play.
It's always broadcast on TV and is a wonderful, moving ceremony.
At 11.00, the start of the 2 minutes' silence is signalled by a field-gun in nearby St.James' Park. Another gun signals the end.
Services are held at War Memorials all over the country at the same time.

Incidentally, did you know that the Last Post is sounded at the Menin Gate in Belgium every evening as it has been, without fail except during the Second World War, since 1927 when the memorial was completed?
The Menin Gate is a memorial to nearly 55,000 soldiers who were killed between 1914 and 1918 who have no known graves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Post
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
This came in out of the blue. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:41 pm

If you can listen to "Taps" at a military funeral or "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes at a police or firefighter funeral and not be moved, then I do not want to know you. Too often we foget about those who fought for, and secure our freedoms, Thank you Kurt for reminding us and thank all of you who are PGR members.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3828
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: This came in out of the blue.   This came in out of the blue. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 am

Too often we foget about those who fought for, and secure our freedoms

Easier for us in Europe, especially on the mainland, as reminders are all around us. I now live within an hour's ride of the WW1 Cemetaries round Ypres. It's a moving experience riding along the roads and seeing little military grave-yards dotted about in the fields, some with only half-a-dozen graves in, and then arriving at the vast ones with thousands of graves.
In Ypres there is a church, St.George's, inside which the walls are literally covered with both Regimental memorials and those from schools in the UK whose pupils and staff fought and died. That's particularly touching.
The memorial to John Mcrae (In Flanders Fields) is there, too.
In the UK most churches, towns and villages have their War Memorials with the names of those from those specific places enscribed on them.
Three years ago I visited the Normandy Beaches and the Somme on a rideout. We went to the huge American Cemetary near Omaha Beach. It's an extraordinary experience.
Back to top Go down

This came in out of the blue.
Page 1 of 1