Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2002 600 Odometer
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Today at 12:52 am

» Witam serdecznie wszystkich????
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:25 pm

» 2005 Silver Wing For Sale
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby Yaj Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:16 pm

» 2005 Silver Wing For Sale
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby Yaj Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:15 pm

» Happy Birthday Glenn
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:28 pm

» October 2024 forum picture
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:29 pm

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:35 am

» Honda SH300i
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:36 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:58 pm

» AF214 Givi windshield
Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
havs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2024-06-29

Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  Empty
PostSubject: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 7:23 am

Hi all!

New to the site and this is my second Silverwing.

2007, with 17000miles

I’ve just got it and when it first arrived it started, died, then started and I rode it about 5 meters to the garage. Now it won’t start again.

Tried to check spark but could get a good enough sight of it. I don’t have a dedicated tester.

So, I’ve got the panels off, and checking the coil.

No burn marks or cracks.

I’ve got
2.6ohms on primary
19 M ohms on secondary !!!!

I’ve looked through the service book but can’t see what is expected in ohms (I can see in V) but having done research on almost all other bikes, that secondary reading seems waaaaaaayyy to high (assuming it should be at least in the ‘k’ ohms.

Before I go and replace this, I would just like some advice, if anyone can share their readings and what I should be expecting.

And to educate myself, why would there be such a high resistance rather than no resistance at all if the coil is buggered.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 8:17 am

Hi Havs, and welcome to the forum for all things Silverwing and a bit more besides.

Quick thought, did you try using a damp start/brake cleaner spray directly into the air box(filter removed). Are the plugs wet with fuel ? Has the bike been standing idle for a long time?

Hope this helps, awaiting your reply.
Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
havs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 9:29 am

Hi!!!

Thank you !

I haven’t tried that, do you think it’s worth the attempt still even though I’m seeing these readings ?

Plugs are black , I cleaned them before proceeding but still no start.
There is an aftermarket exhaust on this so I think that will be contributing to running Rich.

Bike has been sitting a while according to last owner as he has another bike I think over 6 months.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi Havs.

Worth the test, if it fires up it ain't the spark. I expect it's a stale fuel issue.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
havs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 3:42 pm

Ok, ill give it a go, although i did fill up the tank with new fuel (as it was nearly empty). will report back, appreciate the responses!

I just did another test quickly (its been off 1 days now with battery disconnected), and ive got a different reading on the secondary: 35.84 k ohms.

Not sure why its changed so much...

But ill come back to that once ive tried to boot it with some spray down the air box
Back to top Go down
havs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 5:02 pm

Right, some updates:

Checked the air filter, it looks ok, removed it, got some carb cleaner down the hole but nothing, it still turns over and doesn't start.

Checked the spark with a known spark plug, in the dark, and both sides seem good.

Removed the coil and HT leads, tested directly, and it seems ok, with decent readings.

I'll try some new plugs in there tomorrow, otherwise, I think the coil and spark side of things seems ok...

Where to move from here?

Back to top Go down
havs
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2024 8:06 pm

Got to the bottom of this. It was a bad coil in the end. Changed the sparks too and with the already installed new battery, we are running super smooth.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?    Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2024 3:27 am

Great news havs. Thanks for letting us know, it's one for the archives.

I never did like the location of that coil, particularly with our lovely UK climate and salty roads. 

Well done; ride on.
Back to top Go down

Bike turning over, not starting - possible coil?
Page 1 of 1