Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months

Go down 
+3
Dale N.
Erdoc48
Boating123
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-05-31

fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  Empty
PostSubject: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 9:41 am

what is the best fuel stabilizers to use for a 2005 honda silverwing with 12k miles that just sits most of the time (sometime months at a time) but does have a battery trickler .

thanks in advance Dan
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 10:23 am

You will get many varying opinions…in the past I have used Stabil Ethanol fuel formula and it’s sold at Lowe’s Home Improvement. The other option if you can find it is to fill up with ethanol free fuel before you’re done riding for the season. The goal is to prevent phase separation with E10 (and it’s the water that will rot a gas tank), and even with non ethanol gas, it’s good to fill up to full to avoid fuel oxidation and use the tank when you ride again (not too hard when the tank lasts ~ 160-170 miles)
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 11:16 am

I use Stabil myself but when I'm going to park it for the Winter I run the tank down low and fill it with 91 Octane non oxygenated fuel and take it for a short ride to circulate it. Then I put the trickle charger on it about once a month to keep it up.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 11:42 am

I've quite a few bikes running at the moment and quite a few of them get left for months at a time. I try to leave them with a small amount of fuel in them so I can add a good drop and dilute properly anything that goes off or evaporates leaving gickky residue. I never leave anything dry unless I've work planned for the tank.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Stabil works fine never had a problem with it. Key is to fill the tank after last ride, fuel tank filled less to rust in there. Better yet buy E0 gas and Stabil fill it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 6:34 am

When I winterize my Forza in Nevada, I take Sta-bil or Sea Foam and put some in at fuel station then fill tank up with gas/petrol. I don't use Ethanol free as I can't find it. Then I proceed to ride for 5 miles or so to make sure the mix circulates. I put it on battery maintainer and it sits for 6-8 months. So far this has worked great and scoot starts right up in the spring!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 6:45 am

GHM-PM wrote:
sits for 6-8 months.

My Swing and my Cub 90 are my two year-round bikes. The SW is a bit heavy when the roads are slippy but if I have to go anywhere, the weather protection and lights (it's properly dark 16 hours a day here at midwinter) are excellent. I don't drive a car.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 4:59 pm

smellybeard wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:
sits for 6-8 months.

My Swing and my Cub 90 are my two year-round bikes. The SW is a bit heavy when the roads are slippy but if I have to go anywhere, the weather protection and lights (it's properly dark 16 hours a day here at midwinter) are excellent. I don't drive a car.

I drive a truck and my Silver Wing is based in Arizona so it is a 12 month vehicle... My Forza is based in snow country that is why it is mothballed for the winter months.
Back to top Go down
abel316
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-08-30

PostSubject: Re: fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months    fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2022 9:43 am

I use Ethanol free fuel. When not using the swing for a short time use Stabil. Has worked fine for me.
Back to top Go down

fuel stabilizers for when the bike is not used for months
Page 1 of 1