Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tire Delamination

Go down 
+3
GHM-PM
Meldrew
LarryD
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LarryD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2023-09-06

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2024 8:51 am

This is a new one for me. I have over 300,000 klms on various bikes and never had a tire delaminate before.

I was feeling a bit of a front wheel wobble at times for the last week, It would come at about 35 klms/hr during decelleration and dissappear, but I finally found the problem. There is a slightly raised bubble, about 1 inch across, on the running surface of my front tire. It is soft enough to push it in with my finger. I am definately ordering a new tire when the shops open on Tuesday.

The tire is a Avon Viper Stryke 120/80 x 14, manufactured date is 0718 I put about 5000 klms on this 2004 swing since I purchased it last August. The tire at that time was almost new, so I do not know the true miles on the tire.
There is still a lot of tread left on the front tire,

Has anyone had this problem before? Any recourse with the manufacturer?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2024 9:39 am

I've posted a couple of times about a sidewall delamination blister on a rear Bridgestone Hoop tyre back when I owned a Silver Wing.

No real drama after I spotted it, ordered a set of Continental ContiMove tyres as replacements from the local Suzuki dealer. Then a few days later went for a coffee and a bacon sandwich while the workshop was fitting them.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2614
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 7:57 am

Age is the death of tires. When I bought my Forza in 2020 the tires looked great, tons of tread BUT upon checking they were the OEM tires so 5 years old. Anyway, the next year the tires had loads of cracks and separation so replacement was necessary. So as your tires age keep a close eye on them and start thinking about replacement.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 12:44 pm

Age, incorrect pressure and heat can cause delamination so there might be some unknown history on that tyre.
I have ran a pair of Avon Strykes and found them to be good tyres wet or dry. The front lasted 7500 miles and the rear 3000, which is pretty much normal for me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 8:45 am

I remember that around the time I bought my first maxiscooter, a Piaggio X9250, there was a batch of tyres from a well-known manufacturer which were faulty and delaminated.
Fortunately, there were no accidents caused by this and the company replaced all the tyres without question or inspection.
I guess it doesn't often happen but can't be ruled out
Back to top Go down
LarryD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 10:52 am

Thank you for the updates guys. Have ordered a new tire, but it will not be here for two to three days. Not to many scooters in this area, so nobody carries inventory for 14 inch tires.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2614
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2024 7:33 am

LarryD wrote:
Thank you for the updates guys.  Have ordered a new tire, but it will not be here for two to three days.   Not to many scooters in this area,  so nobody carries inventory for 14 inch tires.

Don't worry about ordering tires! I live in the US and even at the Honda dealers they have to order them for me... I guess there is not a call to stock scooter size tires.

Back to top Go down
LarryD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2024 8:35 am

Just an update. I took the tire off of the swing yesterday. The tire is in poor shape. There are five separate locations on the tire that have started to delaminate. Happy that I found this problem before I set off on a 900 klm run this weekend.

Note that my new tire is being shipped to my repair shop from Calgary Alberta which is just over 2000 klms from here. They estimate 2 day delivery. My shop ordered me a Shinko tire because they offer same day shipping. Some of the other brands offer 1 to 2 day shipping which means that it could take 5 days to get here.

I will have to get into the habit of checking my tires more often.

Ride safe guys.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2024 3:29 pm

steve_h80, only 3000 miles on a rear tire,sounds pretty poor. I just replaced a rear Contiscoot tire on my Swing at 5000 and thought that wasn't very good. You must ride must pretty aggressively. I ordered my Shinko from Cahapparal and was delivered in two days from California ti Tucson,AZ.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 1:58 am

Who me? I would say with enthusiasm 🤣
5-6000 miles is more usual from a deep tread adventure tyre on the other bike, so taking into account 'Pi D' 3-3500 miles on a little scooter wheel is about right.
It is all to do with my riding style and territory, constant acceleration, braking and riding uphill will heat and wear a tyre much more than riding through town or cruising at a constant 70 on the motorway.
But I ride for fun nor practicality so it's a price I'm happy to pay.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Tire Delamination Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Delamination   Tire Delamination I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2024 11:46 am

Hi Guy's, changing mine sometime this week, 9,596 miles on this tire. I have always used Hoops and balance with balancing beads because I don't have a cone large enough for the rear rim to use my balancer. This is my 5th rear tire. I now have 41,343 miles total. Take care and God Bless, Dickie
Back to top Go down

Tire Delamination
Page 1 of 1