Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Shock absorber YSS replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Piotr_Poland
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Piotr_Poland

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Shock absorber YSS replacement Empty
PostSubject: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2024 4:16 pm

Hi there.
I'm about to change my shock absorbers for yss because stock ones are to soft and feels like bad handling driving with passenger. Any opinion or information about that shocks. See picture.
Shock absorber YSS replacement Screen14
Back to top Go down
http://www.xenum.pl
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2024 3:31 am

YSS have a good reputation for a budget shock. The only thing that puts me off them is the preload adjustment collar is at the top so won't be easily accessible once fitted to the bike.
I'm forever adjusting the preload depending on whether I'm riding solo or two up so I choose to fit Hagon shocks. They still aren't as easy to adjust as the Honda originals but they are doable with a C spanner.
Of course if you fit and forget, as most folks do, this won't be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Piotr_Poland
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Piotr_Poland

PostSubject: Re: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2024 8:17 am

Thanks for your opinion. The preload adjustment can come a problem but I think I'll do it once and will stay.
I was rather interested in quality and functionality while mounted on sw. The oem are not good after 20 years anymore.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 2:20 am

If you've not already done it replace the fork oil too, that will be pretty horrible after 20 years. It's an easy job but you'll want the service manual for torques settings to avoid the whole 'tight, tighter, stripped thread' scenario 😀
Back to top Go down
Piotr_Poland
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Piotr_Poland

PostSubject: Re: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 4:26 am

Slightly trying to do all the stuff. It's a pitty that turn signal can not be changed for.led, it is very annoying that delay with normal bulbs. So regarding shock absorbers you think it is worth to change? Is there any spectacular difference?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 8:57 am

It really depends on how and where you ride.
I fitted Hagon shocks because we found the standard shock bottomed out with me and her on the bike. It's worth noting that with us both on we're on the bikes weight limit and the country roads around here are bumpy.
If I was riding solo or we where sticking to smooth roads I wouldn't have needed to change. The replacement shocks aren't intrinsically better, just better suited to what we do.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Shock absorber YSS replacement   Shock absorber YSS replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2024 5:06 pm

Hi Piotr.

WITH ref to LED's, you can replace all the Swings filament bulbs with LED substitutions without needing ballast resistors. Ebay is your friend on that one.

Maybe a bit more info from you as in, what year is your Swing, how many miles/Kms has been done on your OEM shocks.
I personally fitted YSS's to my 09 when I acquired it about 1 1/2 yrs ago.
2 things to note.
1) they come with the preload already set at manufacture.
2) I found that the Yss's are 20mm shorter than the Swings OEM's(bolt hole to bolt hole) which made it Imposible for me to get the Swing on the centre stand. To fix the problem I had to wind the pre-load ring down onto the spring (clockwise as you view it) by the 20mm. All works great now. A firm, but fair ride, no teeth rattling like Hagons (over sprung in my opinion) yes I tried both.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down

Shock absorber YSS replacement
Page 1 of 1