Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

» OE Quality Drive Belt
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

» New to the forum
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

smart key for new Hondas

Go down 
+3
Loosemarbles
Meldrew
john grinsel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

smart key for new Hondas Empty
PostSubject: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2024 12:11 pm

Is the smart key the dumest thing Honda has added to new bikes/scooters?   As rider, I think so!!!!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2024 1:10 pm

My 2018 Forza 300 has a so called Smart Key and almost 6 years later I barely give it a thought and the novelty wore off within a few weeks of ownership. It's now just another set of keys, Smart Key fob and normal keys for ABUS locks and Givi top box.

I carry the keys in a jacket pocket and not in a glovebox pocket like they do in promotional videos on YouTube.

I press the key from the red LED to green, get on the Forza, turn the key switch to On and away I go. Getting off the bike I walk away a few feet and the indicators flash, and the key switch is locked. There's even a button on the fob that will illuminate the indicators when you're looking for it in a busy car park.

With Smart Keys there's no sad forum posts about keys accidentally locked under the seat and help needed. Or keys badly bent or broken off inside the ignition and they haven't got a spare key or the key code.

Our Nissan uses a Smart Key as do lots of other cars, it's no big deal and it never was.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1603
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2024 4:06 pm

Well John, it's the way things are going. However, it does have its uses in certain circumstances.

My Brother-in-law (who lives in Belgium) told me that he let his Son use his car while he was away in Spain on holiday. His Son called him to say that he had locked the keys inside the car and had no access. My Brother-in-law used his telephone app to unlock the car from Spain and thus gain access to the car.

This may be an extreme example but it does have its' uses. I have a new car on order which will have all this smart key stuff and I can't say that I am a fan but eventually we will have no choice.

I find most of this high-tech stuff irritating.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 3:21 am

The dumbest thing is not adapting to progress and advances in technology on motorcycles and maxi scooters. On the internet and before that on the letters pages of motorcycle and motorcycle magazines there'd always be some Luddite moaning about something new.

From memory it's been about electronic ignition, fuel injection, ABS brakes, tubeless or radial tyres, E10 fuel, and before that it was a few old farts moaning about the introduction of Unleaded petrol/gas and how it would affect old British bikes.

There's others of course but it's breakfast time over here, priorities and all that.

Y'all have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3830
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 3:39 am

Forza 350 Smart Key: I was anxious at first but developed a habit as one does with anything new.
My smart key is on a red boot-lace (so I can see it easily) and resides in the same pocket in my jacket when using the bike.
It really isn't a problem.

Last edited by MikeO on Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2616
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 7:24 am

My wife's 2016 Mazda has the smart key. I was not blessed, but after 8 years there have been no problems at all! I do change the battery every couple of years just to be safe, but no complaints. I am sure it raises the cost of the vehicle a bit over a key...
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 8:21 am

" Our Nissan uses a Smart Key as do lots of other cars, it's no big deal and it never was. "

My 2020 Nissan Frontier P/U truck smart key/security system is not very smart, is actually very dumb at times, no start, auto lock out with fob inside on cold mornings warm-up and mechanical key inside scratch , sometimes key fob won't open doors, etc., etc. are commonplace, if you don't follow the strict procedure, I don't think Nissan engineers ever corrected it/ issued a recall, etc. on 2020-2022 models.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 2:02 pm

We have a 2020 Nissan Juke Tekna, which they describe as a sub compact crossover SUV and what we describe a carr, and manufactured in Sunderland, North East England. The Juke also shares the same platform with the French manufacturer Renault's fifth generation Captur model.

Mrs M drives the Juke far more than I do and since she has never mentioned that the Smart Key has any niggles or faults. So it may only be only problematic with those big Nissan pick me up trucks you favour across the Pond.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1603
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 3:33 pm

Well, I guess we're all just turning into 'old gits' and I don't mind that. Just imagine; if the internet did not exist we would be doing all this communication via letters and perhaps Short Wave radio...what fun!

My old 2001 SW will probably be my last bike and it doesn't even have ABS. I wish it didn't have cross-link rear/front brake system but here we are, and that was 23 years ago.

On a different point, I had to make a claim to my local council for Council Tax reduction. It took me four hours on the laptop along with endless phone calls being kept on hold for endless periods. We have to remember that we are a generation 'out of time'. I guess our Parents would have said the same.

Rant over, let's enjoy our riding of one of Honda's unique inventions. Ride on..... small moped

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 5:11 am

scratch

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 5:12 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Well, I guess we're all just turning into 'old gits' and I don't mind that. Just imagine; if the internet did not exist we would be doing all this communication via letters and perhaps Short Wave radio...what fun!

Embrace being an old git, apply for and use your old git's bus pass, and rail card. Look for Pensioner's Special Lunch Deals, Seniors Discounts in B&Q and The Food Warenouse.

Screw paying £15 for a Seniors Haircut, buy a rechargeable hair trimmer and trim what’s left of your own. I bought a trimmer for £35 during that first long Covid Lockdown, mine are easy to use and I trim my hair every 10 days. I've even done some manscaping with mine.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3830
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 5:22 am

And not forgetting free prescriptions! Smile
Back to top Go down
terrier
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: smart key for new Hondas   smart key for new Hondas I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 9:36 am

MikeO wrote:
And not forgetting free prescriptions! Smile

Yes Mike, while we still have them ! I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go the same way as winter fuel payments  smart key for new Hondas 1f612
Back to top Go down

smart key for new Hondas
Page 1 of 1